Goat Grazing is Effective and Efficient
The work that our goats perform is managed from an environmental science and regulatory compliance perspective.
Targeted grazing is conducted to meet regional/local conservation plan goals.
Wildland Vegetative Management
- Goats effectively and efficiently remove target plants using specific grazing techniques.
- Exact timing for deploying the herd, coupled with strategically placed fencing, ensure that weeds are controlled while desired plants are left intact.
- Sage pays close attention to the uniqueness of each site and plant species.
- Sage continually monitors grazing progress. When goats accomplish goals set by the Land Manager, we remove them.
- Once first year grazing is complete, we evaluate whether targeted 2nd and 3rd year invasive control is needed using grazing, machines, hand removal, or herbicide application.
- Terrain that is steep or otherwise difficult to access poses no challenge for the goats.
- The overall cost for grazing a site is economical when compared to other methods. In many cases, cost can be lower.
Fuel Load Reduction
- Managing fuel load is an important component for Fire Authorities and Land Managers, particularly in a wildland/urban interface.
- Goat grazing targets and consumes unwanted vegetation, leaving behind cleared terrain. Whereas, cutting vegetation with machines or hand tools leaves behind downed biomass to be removed.
- Goat grazing avoids the danger of fires caused by accidental sparking from tools or equipment.
- View Goat Grazing for Fire Prevention presentation.
Ecosystem Benefits From Grazing
- Controlling invasive plants prior to setting seed reduces the amount of weed seed in the soil bank, leading to successful control of the target species.
- In grassland areas with heavy invasion of non-native grasses, goats dethatch allowing native grasses to recover.
- Removing undesired vegetation boosts native species by freeing up water and nutrient resources that otherwise would be used by competing invasive plants.
- View Case Studiespresentation.